artwork by Catherine Langsdorf

Thursday, February 24, 2011

#10 Challenge





The weekly challenge from "I am the Diva" is about the white space, the between space. Here are her words about the challenge: "when i do a Zentangle®, my tendency is to fill up every space.  Then, each week as i'm rounding up each entry for the slideshow - i'm always drawn to those aspects that i wish to emulate.  In this case, it's the 'space between' that i have been drawn to." I have to agree with her whole heartedly.
Next came a post from Kit @ Dreamscribe Designs. Her words really hit home. They helped to explain why I seem to be heavily into the funny little craft that has been termed Zentangling®. Here is a portion from her thoughts: "Zentangle helps us to live in the Present Moment.  Neither the past, nor the future – but betwixt and between.  When we worry about the future, or fixate on the past, we cease to live in the present.  How can we enjoy all that is real —right here, right now— if we mentally inhabit either past or future?"
So here is my soul confession - I am in a personal space between. My father died Sept 1. My mother has been dead for 11 years. I am in the space of being a child with neither parent. It is a strange space. I find myself searching for ways to connect with my childhood and those memories of my parents. It is often a painful space. Sitting at my art board and getting lost in a pattern has been a great escape. It calms my mind.
Finding the Zentangling community on line has also been a great distraction and a way to connect with people. Creative people. People who share so easily and who give abundant praise. I want to give a word of thanks to all those folks! Unknowingly, they have given comfort.
So for now, it is time to shut off this machine and get to my art board for some comfort, focus, creativity and tangling. Blessings to all.

13 comments:

Marianne@RuffHaven said...

I love the smooth lines of this piece.

Linda said...

Hi Catherine,

I think you did a great job with this tangle and showing white space. It's beautiful. I can totally relate to what you have said regarding this strange and somewhat painful place that you're in. I lost both of my parents in 2007 only a month apart from each other. I still find myself trying to connect with my childhood and the memories of my parents too, and it's still somewhat painful at times. But it is getting better. Prayer and my relationship with God has helped me tremendously. My heart goes out to you, and I will keep you in my prayers. Linda E.

Phine said...

I love this ZT you created so beautifully, airy, lightly…
I will spend more time reading your blog! The mix of calligraphy and zentangling is so amazing. Until now I always loved to look at handwritings but never was interested enough to learn calligraphy. You´re going to change my mind!
Thank you for sharing your inspiring work.

Kit @ Dreamscribe said...

Dearest Catherine, having just read your words above, I'm writing this with tears in my eyes and a full, full heart. We (your tangle family!) are honoured to have you trust us with your soul confession. I'm humbled to have you quote my words and feel very privileged to have reached out with my heart and soul and somehow connected with the hearts of so many others. I understand painful places, too. We all have them, I guess. But you're so right - the meditation of tangling helps us to heal those places and just process 'where' we are gradually (and 'who' we are when those closest to us are no longer there as an anchor point for our Selves) - but, with tangling, I find that I can now do this at a pace that I can manage without being overwhelmed. I'm so glad I've found you, Catherine. You're an amazing, special, talented woman. *hug*

Sue Clark said...

I love your tile! I love the flow of the center lines and the border frames it beautifully! I am glad that you have found comfort in your art-thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeanette B said...

Super space, love iT.

arts4all said...

Your words are so personal and deep. Being an adult 'orphan' myself, I know just how you feel. Thank you for your beautiful tangle and for sharing your soul confession. You are definitely in safe and caring company ;-0

Terri Stegmiller said...

I love your results from this challenge.

HeatherCheryl said...

So clean and spacious. Fabulous!

i am the diva said...

your tile is lovely. Your post is also lovely. hugs!

about me said...

I am having lots of fun following your blog! I have just recently started doing tangles & having so much fun. Please come visit me at

http://debtangles.blogspot.com/

maggiekat said...

Beautiful piece! I love what you did with Space.
Your other work is also gorgeous!!

stART said...

This is, quite simply, STUNNING!